I'm not one of those people who have to have a vegan version of a meat dish but I thought of what it would be like to batter and fry cauliflower. I don't long for or miss fried chicken but I try to think of those who are transitioning from eating meat to a plant based lifestyle. Your used to cooking meat. You'll need healthy vegan alternatives to what you are used to eating.
When preparing it, think of the way you fry chicken and create a healthy batter without eggs and chicken. I created it on the fly and want to share it for your enjoyment.
Here we go:
- Bite-sized pieces of cauliflower (my pieces are about an inch - like a chicken nugget)
- 1 cup of spelt flour
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup of almond milk (or coconut milk)
- 1/8 tsp of cumin
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 1/4-1/2 tsp of Himalayan sea salt
- 1 tsp of Marsala powder
- 1/8 tsp of liquid smoke
- 2 tsp of coconut aminos
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 cup of grape seed oil (for frying)
- Preparing the unchick'n - Break off florets of cauliflower (cut the stems off without affecting the floret). I didn't and wished I did. This will allow you to fry them evenly on both sides.
- Making the batter - Add all the dry ingredients in a bowl. This batter will be what you dip the cauliflower into before frying. Add the milk, coconut aminos and liquid smoke and whisk until it's a thick but liquid consistency.
- Frying - Heat up the grape seed oil (this oil fries extremely well and is a healthy oil). Dip the cauliflower in the batter, making sure that it's drenched. Fry on both sides until it's golden brown.
- Optional sauce - BBQ, agave, organic ketchup, cumin and cayenne.
If you try it, post it on IG and tag me @healthywholealive. Let me know if you have any questions.