When I took a break from eating brown rice, I incorporated black rice into my diet. Black rice is a really tasty rice that is both filling and full of flavor. However, I ran across quinoa about 6 months ago and fell in love with it. It's quick to make, not overpowering to other dishes, energizing to the body, and packed with protein. Try it out and enjoy!
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 1/4 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp of cumin
- 1/4 tsp of curry powder
- 1/4 tsp of basil
- 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1/2 onion (diced into small edible chunks) - adds flavor
- 1/2 tsp of favorite soy sauce (I use Coconut Aminos - it's low sodium)
- salt to taste with sea salt (I use pink himalayan sea salt - it has tons of minerals in it)
- 1 tsp of olive oil (for flavor)
1. Put the water in the pot with a top on it (keeps the water from evaporating) and bring it to a boil.
2. Add quinoa and stir.
3. Turn the heat down to a little below medium heat.
4. Add all of the seasonings (including soy sauce) in no particular order.
5. Add onion and olive oil.
6. Let it cook w/ the top on until all the water boils out.
7. It's done when you it's fluffy when using a fork. If it's mushy, it needs more time.
8. Keep the top on it until you are ready to eat.